Accounting, Control & Performance Management
The research group in Accounting, Control and Performance Management at TBS is renowned for its distinctive high-quality and high-impact research. The research group firmly believes that research studies need to engage with issues that have a high social and/or environmental impact on organizations and society.
4 Major Research Topics
Issues with a social & environmental impact
The ACPM research lab aims to meet the need for research in innovative practices in the field of accounting and/or management control, by applying rigorous (quantitative, qualitative and mixed) methods in order to produce and disseminate relevant results for the driving forces of change on an organizational as well as societal level.
Performance Management Systems & Numbers
Management accounting innovation
Performance management systems (PMS) & commensuration in NPOs
Evaluation practices & Impact
Social & Environmental Accounting (SEA)
Carbon & water accounting
PMS & numbers in social NPOs
Governance & Institutions
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) or irresponsibility
(laundering, fraud, tax avoidance)
Professions & Accounting
Auditors & accountants
Controllers & CFOs
Business elites & globalization
Profession history & sociology
15 permanent faculty members: S. Alcouffe, P. Beau, M. Boitier, K. Ceulemans, C. Drujon d’Astros, S. El Omari, C. Gaudy, L. Jerman, W. Khlif, F. Oriot, J. Pruijssers, D. Ravenda, A. Rivière, M. Sorola, D. Voeller. 3 doctoral students: R. Jabot, I. Monday Nweke, M. Postaire. 1 assistant: A. Djibrilla
Research interests : diffusion/adoption of management accounting innovations, environmental management accounting
Research interests: Management control and social performance, audit profession psychosocial risks and management tools
Research interests : Management control systems in organizational and societal transformations, hybrid organizations, equal opportunities and social inclusion
Research interests: sustainability management, assessment and reporting, higher education ethics responsibility and sustainability
Caecilia Drujon d’Astros
Research interests: Sociological approach to accounting, Organisational silence, Management Control, Power relations in organisations
Sami El Omari
Research interests: accounting professions (including carbon accountants), accounting history, globalization and business elites
Research interests: Audit practices, Non-big audit firms, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Financial Auditing
Research interests: audit professionals, accounting, professions and CFOs, power of accounting numbers, professional identity
Research interests: corporate governance and board roles, accounting profession, CSR and business ethics, impact indicators and social inclusion
Research interests: Design/use of performance measurement and management systems (like BSC), role of controllers and CFOs, mainly in SMEs and non-profit organizations
Research interests: auditor behavior, professional advancement of auditors, responsibility, staff policies, audit firms.
Research interests: income and labor tax avoidance, audit and financial reporting quality, fraud risk assessment models, public management and accounting
Research interests: Management control systems in organizational and societal transformations, institutional logics, hybrid organizations (private/public/social), impact indicators and social inclusion
Research interests: Critical accounting (methods & theory), social & environmental accounting (reporting), accounting and the political (agonistic dialogic accounting, accountability-based accounting)
Research interests: Auditing, corporate governance, corporate taxation, risk reporting
Richard Jabot – PhD student supervised by S. Alcouffe & D. Gibassier
Research interests: social and environmental accounting, carbon accounting, Corporate Social Responsibility
Igwe Monday Nweke – PhD student supervised by W. Khlif & S. El Omari
Research interests: Corporate governance codes and diversity on board
Maxence Postaire – PhD student supervised by S. Alcouffe & M. Boitier
Research interests: social and environmental accounting, accounting profession, innovation in management accounting
Members of the group have published in the world’s top journals in accounting, such as:
- Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal (AAAJ)
- Accounting History Review (AHR)
- Critical Perspectives on Accounting (CPA)
- European Accounting Review (EAR)
- Management Accounting Research (MAR)
- International Journal of Arts Management (IJAM)
- Journal of Business Ethics (JBE)
- Journal of Cleaner Production (JCP)
- Journal of Business Research (JBR)
- Management International (MI)
- Sustainability Accounting
- Management and Policy Journal (SAMPJ)
- Comptabilité Contrôle Audit (CCA)
- Revue Française de Gestion (RFG)
- Revue de l’Organisation Responsable (ROR)
- Revue Internationale PME (RIPME)
Members of the group have also published TBSearch articles for a wider audience.
Partnerships and collaborations
- Royal Holloway University of London (UK)
- Université de Laval (Canada)
- HEC Montréal (Canada)
- University of Victoria (Canada)
- KU Leuven – University of Leuven (Belgium)
- University of New Brunswick, Saint John (Canada)
- University of Birmingham (UK)
- University of Otago (New-Zealand)
- University of Mannheim (Germany)
- Autorité des Normes Comptables (ANC)
- French National Agency promoting Sustainable Development (ADEME)
- Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles (DRAC)
- The Association of Accountants and Financial Professionals in Business (ACCA/IMA)
11-12 June 2019, 6th Workshop: Critical & Alternative Approaches in Governance.
- Professor Alessandro Zattoni, LUISS Business School – School of Management, co editor in chief of: Corporate Governance: an International Review
- Professor Jo Iwasaki, former Head of Corporate Governance ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accoutants)
30th March 2018: Workshop with Prof. Jan BEBBINGTON, Professor at University of Aberdeen: “Social accounting: modern slavery and call for action”
2-3 July 2018, 5th Workshop: Critical & Alternative Approaches in Governance.
- Professor Jacqueline Coyle-Shapiro, Professor of Organisational Behaviour and Head of EROB, Vice President and Program Chair of AOM
- Professor Christos Pitelis, Professor of Strategy and Sustainable Competitiveness, Head of Brunel Business School
4th French CSEAR Conference, May 15-16, 2017
30-31th October 2017: Joint Workshop TBS – Royal Holloway University of London.
4th September 2017: Workshop with Deryl NORTHCOTT, Professor at Auckland University, Editor of Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management
2019-2020 Seminars & Conferences
- 25 June 2020 – ONLINE EVENT – 7th Critical and Alternative Thinking in Governance: governing sustainability in a digitalized world; false solutions for real issues ? – Keynote speakers: A. INNES, LSE & M. GOERGEN, IE Business School.
- 22-23 June 2020 (to be rescheduled) – Conférence francophone sur la recherche en Comptabilité critique & interprétative: La comptabilité critique et interprétative pour penser le monde de demain ; réflexions et perspectives – avec Yves GENDRON, prof. de comptabilité à l’Université de Laval et Annick ANCELIN-BOURGUIGNON, prof. De Contrôle de Gestion à l’ESSEC Business School.
- 06 March 2020 – Workshop NGO on responses to financial evaluation: reconfiguring humanitarian accountability and performance – avec Jeremy MORALES, prof of accounting at King’s College of London
- 03 March 2020 – Trois essais sur la diffusion du contrôle de gestion environnemental et sociétal – Ateliers doctoraux Maxence POSTAIRE, Camille GAUDY, Diana CASTRO HERRERA, Grégoire DAVRINCHE sur la construction et perception des transferts de légitimité des auditeurs :
- Illustration dans le domaine de la RSE et du Développement durable.
- Corporate climate change risk disclosures: Determinants, consequencesand alternative ways to improve disclosure.
- La communication de résultats non-GAAP : Déterminants, pratiques et utilisations. »
- 10 September 2019 – Workshop Robert SCAPENS, Emeritus Professor at the Alliance Manchester Business School & Professor of Management Accounting at the University of Birmingham. Seminar on Writing Qualitative Research Papers
Back to school 2021
Looking for the start dates of your program at TBS? Here you'll find all the information you need
Older workers’ employability is a Human Resource Development responsibility
Dello RussoLatest Videos from our ResearchersProfessorResearch
TBS International Business Programs in MOCI TOP 10
From 08.07.21 to 08.07.21
French international business magazine Le Moniteur du Commerce International (MOCI) puts the spotlight on some of TBS's most popular international business programs in their 2021 guide.
Responsible Higher Education – Call for Proposals
From 13.10.21 to 15.10.21
Responsible Higher Education: from Collaboration to Action
From 13.10.21 to 15.10.21
Become part of the sustainable education of the future, where academics, staff members, students and stakeholders all work together towards increasingly responsible education. Come join us to make a collective impact during this high-profile 3-day event!
Survey: Does teleworking change the very notion of work ?
TBS researchers Kévin Carillo and Alain Klarsfeld have prepared a new survey to learn more about the conditions that make for efficient teleworking while respecting professionals, in collaboration with the University of Montréal and Laval University in Canada.
Artificial Intelligence from a Tourism Perspective
The TBS Center of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence & Business Analytics and the TBS Research Center are proud to invite you to the online seminar on Artificial Intelligence from a Tourism Perspective with Dr Ulrike Gretzel
Meet The Editor – Yogesh Dwivedi – IJIM
The Center of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence and Business Analytics, in collaboration with the TBS Research Center, is pleased to invite you to the “Meet the Editor” webinar, with The International Journal of Information Management's editor Yogesh Dwivedi (CNRS: 2, FNEGE: 3).
Meet The Editor – Stefan Minner – IJPE
The Center of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence and Business Analytics, in collaboration with the TBS Research Center, is pleased to invite you to the "Meet the Editor" webinar, with International Journal of Production Economics's editor Stefan MINNER (CNRS: 4, FNEGE: 4).
Joint R2D2 and PRME Chapter meeting: “Re-finding Us in Uncertain Times”
12.04.21 to 27.05.21
TBS Education unveils its 2026 strategy: inspiring TBS
Driven by a unique strategy that will be deployed over the next 5 years, the Toulousain school - newly named TBS Education - has set itself bold and inspiring development objectives: to become the school of educational well-being, to strengthen the employability of its learners, and to maximize its societal impact on its territories. To achieve its goals, TBS Education will rely on a whole new genre of campuses, an expert and reputed faculty, new training and employability models as well as a strengthened international presence.
Why companies need experts more than ever
Today’s economic context pushes companies to explore new strategies to keep their business moving forward. Now’s the time to step out of your comfort zone and become an expert to stand out on tomorrow’s job market and make an impact on the future.
From 25.03.21 to 26.03.21
The Challenge is on! From 25 to 26 March, 2021, students of the MSc Big Data, Marketing & Management face their fellow students of the MSc Artificial Intelligence & Business Analytics for the 3rd edition of the TBS Datathon. They will develop, in record time, a predictive algorithm for online advertising for our partner, Criteo.
TBS Summer School Programs 2021 Webinar
Webinar 21st April: Join us Online. Summer School registrations are open! Join one of the TBS Summer School programs and earn ECTS credits towards your degree!
See all the news