Law & Management in the Space Sector
SIRIUS is the first international chair dedicated to law and management of activities for the space sector, the Space Institute for Research on Innovative Uses of Satellites was born from an unprecedented academic, public and industrial partnership between the most important private stakeholders of the European space industry: Airbus Defense & Space and Thales Alenia Space, a major European public player in the sector, the Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales (CNES), and two high-profile academic institutions: TBS Education and the University of Toulouse I Capitole.
Meeting legal and managerial challenges
The aim of SIRIUS is to create a leading international research team in law and management in the space sector and to bring together all the necessary expertise for industrial and commercial activities in relation to space and its use in the field of law and management of space activities. TBS concentrates on the following management science and research topics:
- Space waste removal : business models
- Relationships with subcontractors
- Innovation blocks
- Human Resources Management in the space sector
The SIRIUS is funded for a five-year period from October 2018 to October 2023.
Contact : email@example.com
Challenges, results and impact of the SIRIUS chair
Interview with Victor Dos Santos Paulino
Victor DOS SANTOS PAULINO – Co-Chair of the Sirius Chair and Researcher at the TBS Entrepreneurship and Strategy Lab
– What type of research does the SIRIUS Chair conduct?
The SIRIUS Chair was created in 2013 and unites a team of researchers who specialize in management science and in applied science for the space sector. The research covers a variety of subjects, such as market analysis, the strategy of organizations and their resources, innovation management, etc.
– What are the main results of this research so far?
The SIRIUS Chair focuses on three areas of action: research, training and dissemination. The researchers involved have produced scientific work for a better understanding of the profound transformations of the sector, such as the miniaturization of satellites, the entry of SpaceX, servicization or even the relaxation of export controls since the mid-2000s. As to the training, the SIRIUS Chair is particularly involved in the European project UNIVERSEH (European Space University for Earth and Humanity) aiming to create a “European University” dedicated to the space sector and to take into account social, societal and environmental challenges. In terms of events, the SIRIUS Talks organized by the Sirius Chair are major annual law and management meetings for the space sector.
– What is the impact of your research for the partnering companies and institutions?
The work of the SIRIUS chair helps partner organizations in their diagnostics and decision-making process. In addition, SIRIUS contributes to the visibility of its partners and of the sector in academic and student communities that go beyond the space sector (management sciences and law).
– How does the funding help research move forward?
The funding made it possible to create and perpetuate the first European research team in management sciences and law for the space sector. Thanks to the continuity of funding since 2013, TBS Education has developed solid expertise, which is illustrated by 128 scientific productions (academic publications, doctoral theses, research papers).
Hubert DIEZ – Head of Higher Education Relations – Direction of Applications and Science Innovation – CNES
“Thanks to the SIRIUS Chair, the CNES now has the opportunity to enrich its prospective work, whether it is in the field of space law, new economic models or even new management methods. The work of the researchers guarantees in-depth and always very well-structured studies.
As the space industry is highly evolving now, having such a structure to lean on is essential. This chair, which is now established on the international scene, allows France to be present in current issues but also in the future.“
Cédric BALTY – Director of Innovation, Thales Alenia Space
“In the space sector, cycles are long, regulatory and political challenges create structure and the economic models are not very mature yet. The research activity carried out by the Sirius Chair is a necessary light to take a step back from the dynamics and changes underway, to better understand and anticipate changes in our sector or to take stock of the obstacles and opportunities brought about by New Space initiatives. The combination of Law and Management, through our two academic partners, TBS and UT1, is an asset that makes this chair unique at the service of our industry.“
Gilbert GRISERI – Head of Technical Strategy and R&D , Airbus Defence and Space (Space Systems)
“The space activity raises or renews a growing number of questions, related in particular to the management of debris, the regulation of traffic as well as the exploitation of extraterrestrial natural resources or the militarization of space. These questions relate of course to the law, but also to business models that could help find an economically viable solution to some of these problems. The SIRIUS Chair helps to enlighten us in this context, which is complex through weak global governance and the initiatives of certain countries.“
A selection of publications
- Innovation Trends in the Space Industry – ISTE Ltd, John Wiley and Sons, 2020
- Geraudel Mickaël ; Salvetat David : Knowledge sharing in a coopetition project team: An institutional logics perspective – Strategic Change, 2019, 28(3)
- Dépendance et pouvoir perçus dans la chaîne de valeur : quels impacts sur la relation et la performance client-fournisseur ? Une étude de cas appliquée aux industries aéronautique, spatiale et de défense – PhD Thesis, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole (2019)
- Cambra-Fierro Jesús : Taking advantage of disruptive innovation through changes in value networks: insights from the space industry – Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 2017, vol. 22, no. 2
- Fayolle Alain :Quel apport de la théorie de l’acteur-réseau pour appréhender la dynamique de construction du réseau entrepreneurial – Management International, Octobre 2014, vol. 19, no. 1
- Le rôle de la Défense dans l’émergence d’une nouvelle industrie : le cas de l’industrie spatiale – Innovations – Revue d’Economie et de Management de l’Innovation, Juin 2013, no. 42
- Inter-organizational knowledge management in a coopetitive context in the aeronautics and space industry – Knowledge Management Research & Practice, Août 2013, no. 11
Victor Dos Santos Paulino firstname.lastname@example.org
TBS EDUCATION MSc & MBA IN EDUNIVERSAL 2023 RANKING
TBS EDUCATION UP 2 PLACES IN THE 2023 LE POINT BEST BUSINESS SCHOOLS RANKING
Academic ExcellenceMaster In Management
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLINE INFO SESSIONS
Incoming international students
LE FIGARO RANKS TBS EDUCATION’S BACHELOR IN MANAGEMENT AS THE SECOND-BEST IN FRANCE
Academic ExcellenceBachelorInspiring Education
L’ÉTUDIANT RANKS TBS EDUCATION IN THE TOP 10 BUSINESS SCHOOLS IN FRANCE
Inspiring EducationMaster In Management
OUR PROJECT “THE BLIND SEARCH” WINS THE PRESTIGIOUS BEST INNOVATION STRATEGY AWARD 2022/23 BY AMBA & BGA
Innovative teachingInspiring Education
Soumyadeb Chowdhury, co-author of the report 2022 by World Economic Forum
TBS Education’s Head of Research in the TOP 1% of most cited researchers in the world
TBS EDUCATION ACHIEVES 7TH PLACE FOR ECOLOGICAL TRANSITION
UNIVERSEH Startech Program
TBS EDUCATION IN THE TOP 5 SCHOOLS COMMITTED TO CSR
TBS EDUCATION IN 4TH PLACE IN HAPPYINDEX® ATSCHOOL 2022 CSR RANKING
Two TBS Education professors and researchers among the Top 2% of the world’s most cited scientists
TBS Education’s Global Executive MBA up 11 places and now ranked 74th in the Financial Times worldwide top 100
See all the news